Internalize Homophobia


Internalize Homophobia


Now this is one scary topic if I do say so myself! It would require us to look deep inside yourself and determine if we hate or have a strong dislike for you own people or even yourselves for that matter. I know I have a strong dislike for some people, their behavior, how they represent themselves, how they come off to the not only the Gay community, but how they help the perception of the general population towards Gays as something negative.

I find it interesting how a man can love other men, and still have dislike for what he represents, but something about him. Still have sexual relations with him. As a matter of fact how can you love another if you don’t first have love for yourself? Wasn’t it said that those who judge others are really having a reflection of self. Not in all cases!


I think every Gay person in the world can find something they don’t like about being Gay. It might be within themselves, or outwardly about others of our community.


The dislike can range from social behaviors all the way to jealousy. And beyond. I know for me I really don’t like the way my people dog each other, or have not the slightest clue on how to stand together as one united front, and work effectively with one another to accomplish our common goals which is to gain the equality we rightfully deserve. How can we get this done without first loving yourself thus allowing you to love others, thus allowing all to love the community they are a part of. We can stand together, and get the job done if learn to embrace who we truly are. Remember a divided community is a defeated community.


The part that sucks to me the most is it is bad enough that we have much of the world against us, but to be against ourselves at times is too much even for me the bear. Gay men not liking to be around other gay men, and the same for some Gay women, or women not wanted gay men in their space, and the other way around. Too many bridge, and gaps between the Gay & Lesbian communities, which in my opinion is the same community! See much of the community is not fighting for our equality, and not enough of our own people are standing together to affect change in the general society. Even though we have advanced in our mission on some levels much more is need to be done to get us to where we need to be. Just a few can’t get the job done, and it will take the power of our entire community for that to happen. There is power in number!


We have the closeted Gays who don’t want no others to know they like others of the same gender, and we have others who are on the down low, and would rather put up a smoke screen to fool others so they don’t see who they really are. So they keep up this phony double life, and have these in the light relationships as heterosexuals out in the open in the daytime, and under the cover of night, in the shadows have that secret live that involves others of the same gender. Who are they kidding? Surely no me! They are only fooling themselves, and would enjoy the freedom of walking in the light if they only try to open their mind to the possibility of freeing themselves from the prison they have built around them.


With all that we might not like about ourselves, our community there is something that makes us stay within it. That could be something as simple as the beauty of the male/female physical form, complexion of skin, the variety of cultures could be a liking, or the comfort of being around other who lives & loves as you do. The possibilities are without limits! I strongly believe much more can be said about what we like about our community as opposed to the negative things we don’t like.


How do we combat internalized homophobia? We don’t! You do! How do you combat it? The Answer is quite simple! Show love to yourself first, and then express that love you have for yourself outwardly for all to see. What would that accomplish? Nothing directly, or everything! Point is when a person sees, gets to know you, or knows you their exposed to a person who loves themselves, and that love shows. In your actions, behaviors, and the way you treat the people around you. Like myself People look at the Pride I have in my self & my Sexual orientation, and they say to themselves I wish I had that kind of Pride for myself & my community.


In the words of the late, great Dr Martin Luther King Jr. Free at, free at last thanks God almighty I am free at last. I live for the day that rains true for our community


What more can I say about internalized homophobia? There is no shame in being who you are. God gave you the ability to choose what you like, and whom you wish to love. Don’t let the stigmas, discrimination's, and stereotypes stop you from being all that you want to be.

4 Ever BBOP







2 comments:

  1. Im loving the new blog BBOP...Im currently working on one of my on own...check it out!
    www.bruhdaniels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you presented this topic very well...

    ReplyDelete